Thursday, October 25, 2012

Abby's Post


Like Lauren, in order to take action in support of gay marriage, I went online to a site called Freedom to Marry (http://www.freedomtomarry.org/) and signed a pledge that declares not only my support of gay marriage, but also declares my intent to be active participant in the fight for marriage equality. I then posted a link to the pledge on my Facebook page, hoping to inspire others to sign it as well. This site offered several avenues for people wanting to take part in their campaign - the pledge being one example. I also clicked on the link that gave me step-by-step instructions on how to go about contacting government officials and voice my support for gay marriage. These are steps I will take. I feel like it is not only my duty to be an active participant in issues that affect my country, but also feel it is my duty as the niece/cousin/friend of members of the LGBT community. Signing this pledge and committing to contacting congress made me feel influential - like I could do my part to make a difference.

 

Voicing an individual opinion is the idea at the heart of democracy. Democracy allows the voices of all citizens to be heard, not just those in positions of power. Just as each person is entitled to their own beliefs and values, a person is absolutely entitled to their own opinion. Moreover, these opinions  should be able to be expressed freely, without fear of persecution (as long as the expression is not one of physical violence or verbal abuse. I am talking about logical, reasonable opinions.) We do not have to agree with our fellow voters, but in order to gain a clear understanding of issues that affect us all, we should at least be willing to listen to those who oppose us.

 

I believe it is not only a good idea, but a responsibility to teach about social justice issues within a classroom. The key is to make sure the lesson has a purpose and is age/grade appropriate. Social justice issues have plagued the world throughout history, and only by introducing them to students can teachers provide a complete overview of whole our country (and world as a whole) was shaped. A classroom is where students gain a huge part of the information that will shape the adults they will become, second only to the home. In a home setting, the views that are pressed upon the children are those of their parents, and are usually one-sided. If teachers take the time to introduce a controversial topic like social justice in their classes, students will gain a better understanding of the issues. This will lead to them forming their own beliefs and opinions along the way, not simply parroting the words of their parents. The education system serves the public interest by turning out well-informed, actively involved citizens.

 

The quote “Struggle for social justice is central to our nation’s history…“Concerns about the common good and the rights of the individual, no matter how humble in social standing, transcends politics and holds a definitive place in the realms of morality, ethics and federal law, and therefore in the world of teaching social studies” sums up the idea that social justice is not simply for the mighty. Social justice is not meant for some but for all, with no regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion. Party affiliation does not matter - Democrat or Republican, it is the duty of a teacher to teach her/his students about social justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment